If you own property in California, you know that wildfires are a significant threat–especially in the dry months of the year. That is why many property owners purchase fire insurance, to protect against the financial damages that a fire can cause.
But what if your insurer is not offering what your property is worth? Or what if they claim that the fire was caused by something their policy does not cover?
Unfortunately, this does happen. That’s when you need a fire damage attorney by your side to make sure you are getting the full compensation you deserve. At Reiner, Slaughter, Mainzer & Frankel, we have represented thousands of people whose lives have been disrupted by preventable fires.
Reasons why insurance companies deny you coverage
It is no secret that insurance companies try to find every excuse they can to deny you coverage. This is especially true when it comes to fire insurance since the most obvious proof of your losses has often been destroyed.
Here are some of the reasons why you might not be getting your full damages covered, or why you might not be getting any coverage at all:
- Your policy does not cover the losses you thought it did: The reality is that many property owners in California are underinsured. Maybe the insurance company included exceptions into the policy that you didn’t notice when signing. Or maybe you decided not to purchase more comprehensive coverage that included business disruption. Whatever the reason, underinsurance is a common reason why people struggle to get fair compensation for their losses after a fire.
- Your property has been undervalued: A fire can not only destroy property, but also the proof that the property ever existed. Far too frequently we see clients struggle with convincing insurance companies that the items and property they say they lost in the fire were actually lost. In such a case, you can benefit from having a fire damage attorney on your side to help make sure your property is accurately valued and assessed.
- Your insurance company’s investigation or report is misleading: In some cases, your insurance company may do an inadequate or self-serving investigation of the fire. We can challenge such a misleading investigation, and using the investigation of an independent fire investigator, prove up your damages.
How to recover your full damages from your insurance company
An attorney with experience representing people who have suffered from fire damage will be able to help you in any of these situations.
Here’s how we do it:
- We conduct an investigation to determine what the cause of the fire was and gather evidence to demonstrate that cause.
- We gather evidence of the losses our client has already experienced, and we prove the loss in profit or income our client and their family will suffer in the future as a result of the fire damage.
- We present this evidence to the party responsible for the fire. We then attempt to negotiate a fair resolution that takes into consideration all of the ways our client’s life has been impacted.
- We refuse to settle for less than what our client’s case is worth. We use our team of experts and our skill as trial lawyers to prove to a jury exactly why our clients deserve full compensation for their losses.
Contact Reiner, Slaughter, Mainzer & Frankel
At Reiner, Slaughter, Mainzer & Frankel, representing families who have suffered losses due to wildfires is what we do.
We have been trusted by over 1,600 people to represent them in relation to fires caused by PG&E and have been active in forcing PG&E to create a $13.5 billion fund to compensate fire victims.
Contact us for a free consultation today.