Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP is an award-winning Northern California personal injury law firm. For more than 40 years, we’ve represented injured individuals in Chico and greater Butte County who have suffered trauma and loss through no fault of their own. We fight to get our clients the maximum compensation from anyone whose careless, reckless, or intentional misconduct has caused them harm.
Our team is known for getting top-dollar results in catastrophic injury cases. Since our founding, we’ve secured hundreds of millions for our injured clients. We know how to win the most challenging, complicated, and contentious personal injury cases.
If a catastrophic injury has upended your life, the attorneys and legal professionals of Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP have the talent, reputation, and resources to get you the compensation you deserve.
Catastrophic Injury Cases We Handle
In our more than four decades of practice at Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP, we’ve represented clients suffering from a wide range of catastrophic injuries and illnesses. We possess an unmatched depth of knowledge to draw on in pursuing our client’s interests. Here are some catastrophic injury cases we’re prepared to handle.
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
A traumatic brain injury can cause lasting physical, cognitive, and emotional impairments. Our clients may suffer a TBI in preventable incidents like high-speed crashes, bicycle or pedestrian accidents, falls from high heights, or violent crime. We fight to get them the funds necessary to pay for the medical and supportive care they need to rehab from their injuries and meet the many challenges of living with brain trauma.
Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
Injuries to the spinal cord frequently cause paralysis, loss of bodily function, and weakness. Like TBIs, SCIs often result from violent incidents like motor vehicle accidents, falls, or assaults. Individuals with a spinal cord injury may need significant medical and therapeutic interventions and expensive equipment to live independent lives, which can easily run into millions of dollars. We strive to get them the funds they need.
Loss of Limb
Accidents in Chico can result in the victim losing a limb to traumatic or surgical amputation or losing a limb’s function after it’s crushed or mangled. Losing a limb (or use of it) disrupts a person’s life in countless ways. It may prevent them from working, caring for children, or participating in everyday activities.
Victims of limb loss may need expensive prosthetics and surgeries to regain their physical capabilities. Our team strives to obtain compensation that covers their costs and supports their rehabilitation.
Loss of Bodily Function
A dangerous mishap in Chico can also lead to loss of bodily functions and, as a result, severe life disruptions. For example, a kitchen worker can lose their eyesight or hearing in a gas explosion. A crash victim can sustain trauma to an internal organ that disrupts their ability to breathe, eat, or fend off illness. Or a child can suffer nerve damage in a fall that limits their motor skills.
The Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP team works tirelessly to understand the impairments and loss of bodily function that can cause and pursue fair compensation.
Burns and Other Disfiguring Injuries
It’s impossible to overstate a disfiguring injury’s emotional and life impact. Severe burns, dog bites, lacerations, road rash, and other traumas can transform a person’s appearance and interactions with the world.
At Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP, we are proud to have secured significant payments for numerous courageous victims of disfiguring injuries to support their recovery.
Severe or Terminal Diseases
Some catastrophic injuries in Chico develop slowly through exposure to toxins and other environmental hazards. But their effects are just as devastating as an injury suffered instantly.
Chronic health problems and deadly diseases shorten a victim’s life and diminish quality. They often need costly, long-term medical care and suffer from physical discomfort and emotional trauma.
Our determined, compassionate team goes the distance to hold at-fault parties accountable for their losses.
Compensation for a Catastrophic Injury in Chico
Under California law, you can demand compensation from anyone whose dangerous decisions, actions, or inaction caused you harm. You may also have the right to seek payment from others legally obligated to answer for an at-fault party’s misconduct.
At Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP, we identify every party who may owe you monetary damages for your catastrophic injury. Then, we fight to get you every last penny available to cover your losses.
Liability for Your Catastrophic Injury
We can hold numerous individuals, businesses, or entities liable for your catastrophic injury in Chico.
Every case we handle at Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP represents a unique situation that demands our careful attention and thorough analysis. We delve into the details to identify those responsible for what happened to you or your loved one. We won’t rest until we’re confident we know who owes you money and whether they’re able to pay.
Catastrophic injuries have countless causes.
You might have the right to claim monetary damages from, for example:
- A motorist whose careless actions behind the wheel caused a crash that injured you;
- The owner of a Chico business who failed to fix or warn you about a hazard on their premises that led to your injury;
- The perpetrator of a violent crime against you;
- The manufacturer of a defective consumer or industrial product that failed and caused your trauma;
- The company whose negligent maintenance of its equipment triggered a wildfire that inflicted severe burns;
- The owner of the dog that bit your child.
These are just a handful of examples. There’s no telling who might owe damages for your catastrophic injury until an experienced lawyer reviews your case. Contact the team at Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP today to get started.
Damages for Your Catastrophic Injury
The parties liable for your catastrophic injury owe you monetary damages for the physical, emotional, and financial harm you’ve suffered.
The lawyers at Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP evaluate your losses and pursue every dollar of compensation California law allows you to recover.
Although every case differs, we can often secure payment for your:
- Past and future medical expenses to treat your catastrophic injury and the health complications it causes;
- Costs of non-medical goods and services you need to assist in living with and adapting to your injury, such as modifications to your living space or hiring someone to help with daily activities;
- The income you lost when you missed work because of your catastrophic injury;
- Future earnings and economic opportunities your injury will keep you from receiving;
- Physical pain and discomfort from your injuries or medical treatments;
- Emotional suffering and mental health challenges resulting from your injuries, such as depression or anxiety;
- Diminished quality and enjoyment of life;
- Loss of independence;
- Daily inconvenience;
- Scarring, disfigurement, or loss of bodily function.
Sometimes, we can also secure a court award of exemplary (or punitive) damages for you. California courts can order a liable party to pay those damages if the at-fault party engaged in extreme or malicious conduct leading to your trauma. In a free consultation, our team can review your circumstances and begin evaluating the potential amount of compensation you could claim.
What We Can Do for a Catastrophic Injury Victim in Chico?
Our primary mission at Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP is to secure the maximum compensation for our client’s losses. We draw on decades of experience, a deep bench of legal talent, and an unmatched familiarity with Chico-area courts and juries to deliver top-dollar results in catastrophic injury cases.
Our team is up to the task no matter how challenging a case is. We can:
- Investigate the causes of a catastrophic injury to identify who is liable for our client’s losses;
- Hire and work closely with forensic, medical, and other subject matter experts who can boost our client’s case;
- Evaluate our client’s losses to ensure our efforts on their behalf seek the maximum compensation;
- Analyze insurance policies to determine if and for how much they cover our client’s losses;
- Handle all insurance matters on our client’s behalf;
- Serve as our client’s representative in dealings with the media or official accident investigators;
- Gather evidence to support our client’s claim for damages against liable parties;
- Prepare and present claims for compensation to insurance companies and courts;
- Negotiate settlements with defense lawyers and insurance companies;
- Advise our client whether to accept or reject settlement offers;
- Take our client’s case to trial and present a winning case to a Chico judge and jury (we’ve won 98 percent of the cases we’ve taken to trial);
- Follow through to ensure our client receives every penny of compensation due from a liable party.
Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP makes our services affordable for all clients, no matter their financial circumstances. We understand that a catastrophic injury can put you under severe financial strain. That’s why we offer free case consultations for anyone who wants to learn about their rights. And we represent our clients on a contingent fee basis, which means we do not charge upfront fees or hourly rates for our services.
Instead, we receive a percentage of any money we secure on our client’s behalf. We only get paid, in other words, if we win for you.
Protect Your Rights After a Catastrophic Injury
If you or someone you love sustained a catastrophic injury recently in Chico, take these steps to protect your legal rights:
Contact a Lawyer Immediately
It’s never too soon to contact a lawyer about your catastrophic injury. The sooner you do so, the better your chances of quickly securing the money you need to pay your bills, meet your needs, and begin planning for the future.
While you focus on physical and emotional recovery, a lawyer can take the necessary steps to preserve your rights and position your case for maximum payment. Hiring a lawyer can also ensure you meet legal deadlines for asserting your rights against liable parties.
Do No Accept a Settlement Without Consulting an Attorney
The parties liable for your losses realize they may owe you significant compensation. They may try to limit their financial exposure by offering you a quick settlement of your claim before you’ve even filed it. Do not agree to their proposal or sign anything they send you.
Settlement offers made directly to catastrophic injury victims always fall far short of the amount you have the right to demand and that a lawyer can get for you. Liable parties and insurance companies that offer them hope you’ll agree and, in the process, forfeit your ability to seek more money later. Always consult an attorney before responding to any settlement offer.
Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, LLP offers personalized legal solutions in Chico catastrophic injury cases. No two claims are alike, and we know every client has individual needs that should be met. Our highly qualified team is committed to helping catastrophic injury victims get the maximum compensation possible.
Contact our personal injury attorney in Chico for a free case evaluation at (530) 891-1909, or complete a contact form online. We will discuss the details of your accident with you, explore every aspect of what happened, and help you reclaim the compensation you deserve.