Have you been hurt in an accident? If so, you may wonder how a lawyer could help you. An experienced personal injury attorney in Redding, California can protect your legal rights and help you obtain full compensation for all your injuries.
If you have any of the following questions, schedule a free no-obligation consultation with a Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel personal injury attorney.
Common questions accident victims ask
- Is the offer from the insurance company fair?
- Am I entitled to compensation for anything other than medical bills and car repairs?
- Will the insurance company settlement pay for my ongoing medical needs related to my accident injuries?
- When will I be fully recovered from my injuries?
- Does the person who caused the accident have to pay for all the days I didn’t get paid because I couldn’t work?
- Does the anxiety and insomnia I’ve had since the accident count as “pain and suffering”?
Consulting with an attorney in Redding, California, is an important step on your path to receiving compensation for your injuries. An experienced personal injury attorney can assess the merits and value of your case. This will help you can decide whether an insurance company settlement offer is fair, and whether you want an attorney to advocate for you with the insurance company.
What is the purpose of the initial consultation with an attorney in Redding, California?
Your first meeting with an attorney has two goals:
- The attorney will evaluate your case.
- You will evaluate whether the attorney would be a good fit for you and your case.
Personal Injury Case Evaluation
The attorney will listen to your description of the accident and the resulting injuries. Based on years of experience advocating for accident victims, the attorney will
- Provide a professional assessment of your case and make you aware of your options.
- calculate the approximate value of your damages.
Deciding Whether You Want the Attorney to Represent You
When deciding whether to work with a particular attorney in Redding, California, first consider whether the attorney would do a good job. Look at the attorney’s experience with cases like yours, her understanding of personal injury law, and her overall competence. Decide whether you think the attorney would effectively represent you on your accident claims.
Second, consider whether you trust the attorney. Do you want to work with him? Do you like him enough to work closely together on something so important to you and your family? Do you seem to communicate well with each other? If the answers to these questions are yes, then you’ll want to find out whether the terms of the arrangement work for you.
What happens at an initial consultation with a lawyer?
The consultation is a confidential meeting; the lawyer will not share information about your case with anyone else.
The meeting begins with introductions. The attorney will want to learn a little about your life, your education and job, and your interests and activities. The attorney will briefly introduce herself and will quickly move to the purpose of your visit: your description of the accident and why you are consulting a lawyer.
Evaluating the Accident Claim
The personal injury attorney wants to hear about the accident from your perspective. Share details about where and how the accident happened, the injuries you have suffered, any property damage the accident caused, and why you are considering hiring a lawyer.
The attorney will listen carefully and take notes. He may ask additional questions and look at documents you brought. The lawyer will then tell you whether you have a valid legal claim and your chances of winning. He will also tell you how much money you are likely to receive if you move forward with a claim. This assessment is based on many years of experience representing accident victims like you.
Not everyone who gets hurt in an accident will be paid for their injuries. Even though you have been hurt, in order to win on a claim, several factors have to exist. If they do not, although it seems unfair, you won’t be paid for your damages.
Next Steps Toward Recovering Damages
The final part of the meeting focuses on how the case would move forward if the attorney represents you. The attorney will explain her role and your role, how the law firm gets paid, what a contingency fee basis is, what costs the law firm pays for, what you pay for, how long the process will take, and what happens next.
If you decide to move forward with Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel, you and the attorney will sign a retainer agreement. Even though you receive a free consultation, you have no obligation to work with them.
How to prepare for an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney in Redding, California
Although a lawyer consultation is brief, its impact is long-lasting. That hour could determine how you move forward with your personal injury claim, including whether you accept a settlement offer or hire an attorney. You can make the most of your initial consultation by using this list to prepare.
- Make notes about the accident and everything that has happened since.
- Talk about the accident and its impact with a close friend or family member, so the details are fresh in your mind.
- Review any notes you took after the accident and any notes or journal entries you have made since the accident.
- Research the attorney and the law firm. Learn about the attorney’s experience, education, and certifications. Read testimonials or reviews written by past clients.
- Write down questions you have for the lawyer.
- Collect any documents listed below under “what to bring to a consultation.”
What to bring to a consultation about your accident claims
Every personal injury claim is unique. Until you are meeting with the attorney, you may not know which information or documents are most important in your situation. Plan ahead by bringing the following information with you, while understanding that not all of it may be needed.
- Government issued ID
- Police report, if one exists
- Incident report, if the accident happened at a public place or place of business
- Insurance policy information (for you and the person who cause the accident)
- Your notes about the accident
- Any correspondence with either insurance company about the accident since it happened
- Any notes from phone calls with either insurance company
- A list of your medications and health conditions, injuries, and surgeries prior to the accident
- A list of medical treatment, diagnoses, medications, and health services providers seen since accident
- Your notes or observations about how the accident has affected your work, activities, or relationships
- A list of expenses related to the accident
- Photos or videos of the accident scene
- Names of witnesses and their contact information
How to schedule an initial consultation about your personal injury case
If you have been hurt in an accident caused by another person, you should consult an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced personal injury lawyer educates accident victims about their rights and advocates for full compensation for their injuries. Call 1-800-355-2856 24/7 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a Reiner, Slaughter & Frankel personal injury attorney in Redding, California. You can also use our convenient online contact form.